TIMELESS CLAY: Future Artifacts
ClayHouston 2019 Regional Biennial Exhibition
Houston Community College Central Visual Arts Gallery
3517 Austin Street, Houston, TX 77004
Exhibition dates: March 4, 2019 - April 6, 2019
Deadline: Thursday January 31, 2019 (Midnight CST)
Juror: Jennifer Ling Datchuk
Thursday, December 20, 2018 Call Opens
Thursday, January 31, 2019 Deadline for Entry
Friday, February 8, 2019 Notification of Acceptance
Friday, February 22, 2019 Artists to drop off work
Monday, March 4, 2019 Show Opens
Thursday, March 21,2019 Gallery Reception
Saturday, April 6, 2019 Show Closes
Saturday, April 6, 2019 Artists Pick–up work/work shipped to artists
Eligibility and Media
This is a juried exhibition and is open to emerging and established artists in Texas and the surrounding Region (Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Utah). You may enter up to three submissions for consideration. Each work must be made predominantly of clay with other media taking a minor role in the piece. Wall mounted work must not exceed 48”x 48” and must weigh less than 25 pounds. All wall mounted work must be delivered ready to hang and be accompanied by appropriate hanging hardware and specific hanging instructions. Non-wall pieces must fit on a 20”x 20” pedestal. Please note on your submission if any stand is included in the price. Works must be original and completed within the last 3 years. Any work that is not the same as image submitted, damaged, or older than 3 years will be rejected., The artist will be asked to pick up their work.
The exhibition will be installed and deinstalled by ClayHouston’s Exhibition chair and volunteer committee. For complex installations, artists are welcome to assist. Please discuss arrangements with the Exhibitions Chair if you will be installing.
Submit the completed application form and the entry fee of $40 on Submittable.com.
Guidelines and Specifications
- This is a juried show. All work must have been completed within the last 3 years.
- Please submit high quality, professional images, at least 300 dpi, sized so the largest dimension is 6 inches (1800 pixels), stored as JPEG files. You may submit one full image and one detail or alternate view per work.
- Name image files with the surname of the artist, followed by the first name, and name of work. (example: smith_john_bluevase.jpg and smith_john_bluevase_detail.jpg).
- Each entry must have a title, materials, dimensions, and, if applicable, a retail price.
- Please check to make sure all files are complete and will open in their respective software. Please adhere to all format/file type requirements.
- All artists who are accepted into the exhibition will be required to submit artist statements and/or biographies, limit of 100 words.
- By entering the ClayHouston Biennial Exhibition, each artist gives ClayHouston permission to use the submitted digital images for publicity purposes.
- Any work that differs appreciably from the submitted images or is found to be objectionable can be rejected at the discretion of the ClayHouston exhibitions committee.
Awards will be given, one Best of Show ($1000) and two Special Merit Awards ($750 each).
Delivery of Work
All work must be delivered in a stackable box or bin with a lid and packed securely. Label the box with your name, name of piece and attach a photo of your work to the outside of the box. Any work that needs to be shipped back to out of town artists will need to include a prepaid return shipping label, proof of insurance and the packing materials the item was shipped in must be suitable for re-use. Please include packing instructions.
Please note, ClayHouston will take great care in handling all work, however, neither ClayHouston nor Houston Community College is responsible for damage, loss or theft during the exhibition or as a result of transit.
All sales transactions of exhibited works will be the responsibility of each artist. Interested parties will be given artists’ contact information. Please indicate if your work is NFS (not for sale).
All works must remain for the duration of the show. ClayHouston reserves the right to photograph work for publicity purposes. Submission of the entry application signifies the artist’s understanding and acceptance of the rules and conditions of the show.
ClayHouston contact: Laura Sprague, Exhibits Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)